Pablo Quiñones has more than 20 years of experience in finding solutions to complex legal problems. His diverse experience and team-based approach to representing companies and individuals helps clients achieve better results when responding to government investigations and defending against white-collar prosecutions. Pablo’s diverse experience includes working as a federal fraud prosecutor, a litigation partner of a global law firm, corporate counsel at financial and healthcare companies, and in legal academia.
Pablo served as a prosecutor for more than 10 years, including as an Assistant United States Attorney in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York (SDNY) and as a Deputy Chief of the Fraud Section of the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. At the SDNY, Pablo served on the office’s prestigious Securities and Commodities Fraud Task Force, handling high-profile insider trading, market manipulation, accounting fraud, and investment fraud cases, including the insider trading prosecution of a portfolio manager at a $7 billion hedge fund and the investment fraud prosecution and jury trial of a Wall Street CEO profiled in the American Greed episode, “The Sky’s the Limit.”
At the Fraud Section, Pablo served as chief of a specialized unit that helped develop and implement government enforcement strategies and policies for the prosecution of financial crimes, and provide training to the largest group of criminal fraud prosecutors in the nation. Some of his accomplishments include developing corporate enforcement policies; promoting the evaluation of corporate compliance programs and monitors; approving criminal charges for the 2016 and 2017 National Health Care Fraud Takedowns; overseeing BP’s compliance and process safety monitorships arising from the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico; and, serving as the lead Computer Hacking and Intellectual Property (CHIP) coordinator for the prosecution of cybercrimes and the collection of digital evidence.
Pablo also has more than 10 years of prior experience in private practice, including as a litigation partner at Reed Smith LLP, general counsel of an investment company, and associate general counsel of a healthcare company. Pablo has both actively handled litigation in-house and managed outside counsel for litigation, corporate transactions, and regulatory matters.
While at Reed Smith, Pablo oversaw the Government Investigations & White Collar Criminal Defense practice group and Latin America Business team in New York. In addition to conducting internal investigations for companies and handling complex civil litigation, Pablo represented companies and individuals involved in DOJ, SEC, state Attorney Generals, and other government investigations and prosecutions. His achievements and peer recognition led to his selection by Super Lawyers as an outstanding attorney for Criminal Defense White Collar, New York Metro Area, in 2013 and 2014.
His in-house and outside counsel experience are particularly valuable to clients seeking to manage legal costs without compromising quality representation.
Most recently, Pablo served as Executive Director of the Program on Corporate Compliance and Enforcement (PCCE) at NYU School of Law, where he remains a Senior Fellow and Editor of its law blog, Compliance & Enforcement. With PCCE, he helps shape optimal enforcement policy, guide firms in developing more effective and robust compliance programs, and enhance education in the field of corporate compliance and enforcement in several areas, such as foreign corrupt practices, cybersecurity, initial coin offerings (ICOs) and cryptocurrency, financial fraud, and corporate monitors.
Pablo also has been appointed an Adjunct Professor of Law at two top-tier law schools. At NYU School of Law, he co-teaches a course on Corporate Crime and Financial Misdealing. And, at Cornell Law School, he teaches a course on Cyber Enforcement, Regulation and Policy at the Cornell Tech campus in New York City.
- Represented foreign bank in asset forfeiture action against DOJ efforts to seize in excess of $10 million from the bank’s New York correspondent account.
- Represented a global bank in connection with various matters, including a False Claims Act lawsuit in the Eastern District of New York; grand jury investigations and search warrants related to customers’ alleged healthcare fraud and money laundering violations in the District of New Jersey; and a FIRREA civil investigation related to mortgage foreclosures in the Southern District of New York.
- Represented national consumer reporting company in connection with multiple state Attorney Generals’ civil investigations of potential Fair Credit Reporting Act and state consumer protection law violations.
- Represented an investment company in connection with an SEC investigation.
- Represented an investment company in connection with an internal investigation of potential misconduct by a senior leader.
- Represent corporate executive in connection with securities fraud investigations by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York and the SEC.
- Represented CEO of Manhattan broker-dealer in connection with FCPA violations charged by the DOJ and the SEC in the Southern District of New York.
- Represented Grammy award-winning rapper and charitable organization executives in connection with an investigation by the NY Attorney General’s Charities Bureau.
- Represented a company executive in connection with voluntary disclosure of unpaid taxes.
The above includes matters worked on at a prior law firm.
Recent Speaking Events
- April 5, 2019 — “Ensuring Appropriate Individual Accountability Through Individual Enforcement and Corporate Remediation” at Deterring Corporate Misconduct Through Negotiated Settlements: The Promise and Perils of Corporate Policing Conference, NYU School of Law, PCCE (Moderator; New York, NY).
- March 26, 2019 – “Keeping Corruption and Criminal Infiltration Out of Sport,” at SIGA Sport Integrity Forum (Moderator; New York, NY).
- November 12, 2018 – “The Financial Services Industry: Laying the Foundation,” at PLI Financial Services RegTech and Regulatory Compliance Forum 2018 (Panelist; New York, NY).
- October 12, 2018 – “Monitors as Stewards of Effective Compliance,” at Achieving Effective Compliance Conference, NYU School of Law, PCCE (Moderator; New York, NY).
- August 3, 2018 – “FCPA Compliance and Enforcement Under the Trump Administration,” at 2018 American Bar Association Meeting, Criminal Justice Section (Panelist; Chicago, IL).
- June 12, 2018 – “Unpacking the FCPA Corporate Enforcement Policy,” at Protiviti and Skadden FCPA and Anti-Kleptocracy Conference (Panelist; New York, NY).
- June 7, 2018 – “ICOs and Cryptocurrency: Innovation Meets Regulation,” at NYU School of Law, Program on Corporate Compliance and Enforcement (Moderator; New York, NY).
- April 6, 2018 – “Cybersecurity: Identifying and Responding to Next Generation Threats” at Global Cyber Threats: Corporate and Governmental Challenges to Protecting Private Data Conference, NYU School of Law, PCCE (Moderator; New York, NY).
- January 30, 2018 – “Kicking Corruption Out of Sport,” at SIGA Sport Integrity Forum (Panelist; Rome, Italy).
- November 6, 2017 – “DOJ Evaluation of Compliance Programs,” at 18th Annual Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Compliance Congress (Keynote Panelist; Washington, DC).
- May 23, 2017 – “Common Compliance Issues and Effective Programs,” at Compliance Week 2017 (Keynote Panelist; Washington, DC).
- May 23, 2017 – “A Dialogue About Effective Compliance Programs,” at Compliance Week 2017 (Breakout Session Leader; Washington, DC).
- April 18, 2017 – “Disclosure, Declinations, Cooperation & Credit: A Retrospective Examination of Recent US DOJ Initiatives – On the Path to Robust and Transparent Enforcement Targeting FCPA Violations,” at 10th Annual Anti-Corruption Export Controls Sanctions (A.C.E.S.) Compliance Summit (Keynote Panel Interview; Washington, DC).
- March 31, 2017 – “Navigating Internal Investigations and Avoiding Ethics Pitfalls,” at Hispanic National Bar Association Annual Corporate Counsel Conference (Panelist; Miami, FL).
- October 25, 2016 – “Multiple Penalties Risk in Anti-Corruption Prosecutions: Is There Real Coordination Among the Agencies?” at In-House Counsel World Summit 2016 (Panelist; Paris, France).
- September 20, 2016 – “Oil and Gas Anti-Corruption Enforcement – An Interactive Dialogue with the US Department of Justice and the US Securities and Exchange Commission on Current and Future Priorities,” at 4th Oil and Gas Anti-Corruption Compliance Exchange (Panelist; Houston, TX).
- June 1, 2016 – “The Government’s Perspective on Effective Compliance and Ethics Programs,” at PLI Corporate Compliance and Ethics Institute 2016 (Keynote; New York, NY).
- April 8, 2016 – “Relationship between Individual and Corporate Liability,” at Conference on Corporate and Individual Liability for Corporate Misconduct After the Yates Memo, NYU School of Law, PCCE (Panelist; New York, NY).
- April 5, 2016 – “One on One: Perspectives from the US DOJ on How to Achieve ‘Good-Faith’ Compliance,” at 9th Annual A.C.E.S. Summit (Keynote Panel Interview; McLean, VA).
- March 14, 2016 – “Culture, Values, Ethics and Regulatory Expectations,” at Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA) Compliance and Legal Society Annual Seminar 2016 (Panelist; Orlando, FL).
- February 9, 2016 – “Upping the Ante – Tips for Success in Addressing the Yates Memo and DOJ’s New Compliance Consultant,” at Global Investigations Review (GIR) Live DC (Panelist; Washington, DC).
- May 17, 2018 – Author, “DOJ Calls Foul On Duplicative Corporate Penalties”, Program on Corporate Compliance and Enforcement at New York University School of Law Compliance & Enforcement Blog.
- Board Member, Latino Lawyers of Cornell (2015 – Present)
- Board Member, LatinoJustice PRLDEF (2013 – 2016)
- Member, Disciplinary Committee, New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division, First Department (2014 – 2016)
- Member, Hispanic Lawyers Society of New York (2012 – 2016; 2018 – Present)
- Member, Judiciary Committee, NYC Bar Association (2008 – 2011)
- Super Lawyers, Criminal Defense White Collar, New York Metro Area (2013 and 2014)
- FBI Award for insider trading prosecution related to Operation Perfect Hedge (January 2012)
- US Postal Inspection Service Award for a multi-defendant public corruption prosecution of a former New York State Senator and others (July 2010)
- New York Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Strike Force Award for a narco-terrorism prosecution of the top leaders of a Colombian terrorist organization (April 2010)
- DEA, Bogota Country Office, Narco-Terrorism and Jungle Operations Unit Award for fighting the global war on terror in connection with successful prosecution of a Colombian terrorist organization (April 2010)
- DEA and Treasury Department Award for prosecution of a Chilean money transfer business and leading investigation of an international money laundering operation (June 2009).
- Treasury Department Award for prosecution of a senior IRS revenue agent for engaging in tax fraud scheme (January 2009)
- Dirección Nacional de Control de Drogas y la División de Inteligencia Operativa (DNCD) de la República Dominicana Award for prosecution of international ecstasy trafficking operation (July 2007)
- DEA Task Force Award for prosecution of international drug trafficking organization importing heroin from Karachi, Pakistan (2007)